“It appears that arts groups waiting for their frozen gaming grant money to flow are out of luck. Numerous arts groups across the province have received letters via email from the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch informing them that their Direct Access grants have been denied, including organizations who had multi-year funding commitments.”
Alliance for Arts and Culture – ARTS COMMUNITY MEETING
Wednesday, September 2, 2009 – 1 pm to 3 pm
Museum of Vancouver, 1100 Chestunut Street
The Alliance for Arts and Culture will convene a community meeting on Wednesday, September 2 at the Museum of Vancouver to discuss our options in response to this week’s announcements regarding BC Gaming Commission Direct Access Grants. The meeting will run from 1 pm to 3 pm.
We will attempt to quantify the damage, bring one-another up-to-date on protest initiatives currently being taken by individual artists, organizations and discipline sectors, and discuss the pros and cons of several possible courses of action for the future.
This meeting will NOT be open to the media, elected officials or cultural sector bureaucrats. While we appreciate the support we are receiving from many in each of these sectors, the arts community needs this opportunity to “talk among ourselves”.
This is NOT a “rally” so we are only looking for one or two persons from each arts organizations to attend. A full-scale arts community rally in the near future will be one of the options discussed. So please don’t send your entire staff and/or membership!
Arts organizations that are not members of the Alliance are welcome to send representatives to this gathering.
Please RSVP to email@example.com indicating how many representatives from your organization will be attending. Seating is limited, so we need to count noses. We will begin at precisely 1 pm, so plan to arrive early.
QUANTIFYING THE DAMAGE
We have had numerous emails over the past few days from Alliance members and non-members informing us of declined Direct Access grants.
To help us quantify the damage to our community in advance of Wednesday’s community meeting, could you take a moment to email us the following details, in the order noted:
– Name of your organization.
– Amount of declined grant request.
– Whether this was a one-year or multi-year grant.
– If multi-year, which year was declined.
– How many years your organization has been receiving Direct Access funding.
– Whether your organization has a BC Arts Council grant pending.
The government now seems to be mixing apples with oranges in order to make it as difficult as possible to understand our exact standing with various sources of funding. At least one arts organization has received confirmation of a BCAC grant which cites the Gaming Grants Program as the source of the funds, and states that the money will be deposited to the recipient’s Gaming account.
If you receive a similar BCAC grant confirmation, please let us know whether that grant is for the full amount of your original BCAC funding request.
We would also like to hear from any organization which received a Direct Access Grant or grant confirmation in the past week, or does so in the coming days. So far, the only approved grants seem to be those confirmed prior to the freeze — most of them in May.
Please keep your responses to the above questions brief and factual. I will have to compile the answers in a spreadsheet, and lengthy and anecdotal replies will slow down the process.
Send your responses, along with your RSVP for Wednesday’s meeting, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your collaboration.
The Alliance for Arts and Culture will hold a media conference to announce the outcomes of Wednesday’s community meeting on Thursday, September 3, at a time and place to be determined.
Kevin Dale McKeown
Director of Communications
Alliance for Arts & Culture
o: 604.681.3535 (215)